Government of Canada issues travel advisory for Hong Kong warning travellers to “exercise a high degree of caution”
On August 8, the Government of Canada issued a travel advisory for Hong Kong warning travellers to “exercise a high degree of caution” due to ongoing large-scale demonstrations.
The travel advisory states:
Since June 9, 2019, several large-scale political demonstrations have taken place on Hong Kong Island, in Kowloon, in various suburbs in the New Territories, and at the Hong Kong International Airport.
Although many protest sites are made public in advance, authorized and unauthorized demonstrations can take place with little or no notice. They can quickly spread to surrounding areas, including those frequented by tourists. Expect road closures and disruptions to traffic and transportation in affected areas. During recent protests, bus routes, MTR stations, the Airport Express and the Hong Kong-Macao Ferry Terminal have temporarily suspended operations without warning. Businesses may also close suddenly.
The security situation around large gatherings could change quickly. Acts of violence occur, especially at night. Some have resulted in serious injuries. Clashes between security forces and demonstrators have taken place. Local authorities have used tear gas and other crowd control measures. Police have often reacted more swiftly and severely to unauthorized protests. There have also been random attacks on demonstrators by their opponents.
- Monitor local media for information and advice on upcoming demonstrations
- Avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- Check your flight status and the latest information provided by your airline before making your way to the airport
- Plan to get to the airport well in advance of your flight’s planned departure and go through Security and Immigration immediately upon arrival
- New Air Passenger Protection Regulations now in force
- Air Canada announces first two New Routes to be operated with game changing Airbus A220-300
- NEW! Seasonal flights to New Zealand
- "Smart bags" onboard Air Canada flights
- Air Canada enhanced check-in process
- ADM Aéroports de Montréal unveils new brand platform
- WestJet - Buy Business, get Gold
- Air Canada Introduces Maple Leaf Lounge Express
- More value for your Aeroplan Miles
- Air Canada updates schedule through July in response to ongoing grounding of Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft